Thursday, July 26, 2007

I wish I was creative enough to make this stuff up...

As you may recall, loyal reader, last week, while en route to a morning show appearance in Connecticut, and after cooking and prepping for close to 6 hours for my segment, I made it approximately 1.6 miles from home before a flat tire sidelined me, and squelched my chances of making it to West Hartford on time. You might also remember that the very nice people at NBC30 offered me a 'make up' segment, which is slated for tomorrow. And so today--just like last week (in fact, eerily like last week)--I spent the morning shopping for groceries, and prepping the ingredients. Done with my days work, I headed down to the kitchen a few moments ago to finalize and cook the recipes I will be showcasing, only to discover that the oven (brace yourself, dear reader) is not lighting. It should come as no surprise--given the circumstances of last week--that this discovery did not sit very well with me, so I quickly made my way to the refrigerator and poured myself a very large glass of white wine, then, undeterred, headed outside to the grill to improvise my way through the cooking stage. Alas, it did not take long for me to realize that we are (I have to interject here that I can barely type these words without feeling ill), out of propane as well.

So here I am with a tray of bacon-wrapped scallops, and shrimp lollipops, and cheesy breadsticks, and sausage balls to cook, with no heat source that is stronger than your average household flashlight (and most likely--given my luck these days--ours is out of batteries). But suddenly I realized, that after an entire week of struggling with new copy and ideas for a potential new book, that the best and most creative storyline, is taking place right here in my own madcap life.


BACON-WRAPPED SCALLOPS (or whatever else sounds good wrapped in bacon)
This is a no-brainer recipe. Cut slices of bacon in half vertically, then wrap them around sea scallops, or shelled jumbo shrimp, or dried apricots or pitted dates. Secure each with a toothpick, then bake in a baking pan (with sides so the bacon grease doesn't spill onto the bottom of your oven--which I have learned from experience) until the bacon is golden brown.
Enjoy!

PS. Thank you Cindy for listening to my 10 minute rant, and for generously offering me your oven. Hope the corn turned out ok.

No comments: