Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Mother's Day Project


Funny how life works. I wrote a life list less than an hour ago about wanting to make a difference in the world, and the next thing I know, I stumbled across a link for The Mother's Day Project and immediately signed up.

Here's how it works: Participants who sign up are sent a swatch of fabric with the name of a woman soldier who lost her life in Iraq heat-stamped on it. The volunteer then embroiders over the letters of the name with embroidery floss or thread. The completed names are then returned to become part of a fabric collage and embroidered tote bag. The tote bag is then circulated among the volunteer stitchers who are asked to use the bag in the course of their daily lives for a week before sending it on to another stitcher.

I encourage all of my readers to sign up today to embroider a name. I realize that the small gesture of volunteering for this project is not going to change the world at large, but sometimes it's ok to to think smaller, and to be grateful for changes within.

No comments: