Thursday, March 13, 2008

Orange Crush


It will come as no surprise to anyone who has seen me zipping around town in my flame-colored Wrangler, toting my tangerine-colored purse, wearing my Pantone 1505-colored sneakers, or walking out of my hair salon with Ginger Grant colored tresses, that I've got a serious crush on the color orange. I have no idea how and when this little fetish of mine started, as I actually remember as a child hating the color; perhaps it was the hair color, which led to matching sunglasses, which naturally led to a matching purse, and then...why not a car to match, too? And, a bike! And, sneakers! And, a website! And, a bedroom! Well, it goes on, and on, and on, where it's gotten to the point where people I barely know email me links to things that are orange, and on sale. And, just the other day someone told me that whenever they see something--anything--orange, I pop into their head. Like I am the color orange. I have to admit--despite the fact that it's a branding dream come true--it's a bit strange to no longer be associated by name, or face, but simply by color.

Lately I've been thinking that it might be interesting to shake things up and embrace a new color, to keep people on their toes, and not be so pigmentally-predictable; perhaps lemon yellow, or fire engine red, or grass green, for a change. Of course, the hair would be an issue (and the wardrobe, and the car, and, well, just about everything). Perhaps I will swish this idea around in my head over the weekend, comfy in my orange track suit, feet toasty in my orange slippers, while sipping the perfect cocktail for someone with a bad case of Orange Crush: a blood orange margarita, of course.

BLOOD ORANGE MARGARITA
1 1/2 ounces tequila
1 ounce fresh-squeezed blood orange juice
1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
3/4 ounce Cointreau
Blood orange slice (for garnish-optional)

Combine all ingredients in a shaker filled with ice, shake and strain into a chilled cocktail or margarita glass. Garnish with a blood orange slice.

No comments: