Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Donuts make the world go round


Perhaps it's the jaded New Yorker "thing", or maybe I'm just a tough audience, but I tend to be wee bit bored when it comes to humor. Certainly Caddyshack does the trick, as do Seinfeld repeats (of which I never tire). Animal House and Ghostbusters, for sure. Old Woody Allen and Mel Brooks movies, too. But on a day to day basis, I've sadly concluded that very few things in this world get me laughing out loud like a ticklish two-year old on a sugar high. Until that is, I stumbled across the NYC Donut Report!! on the Blogs of Note a few weeks back. Written by international donut reporter, Duane Reade (only in New York kids, only in New York), this zany blog hits all the right notes for me--it's clever, witty, irreverant, slightly edgy, and, as an added bonus, informative, too. I find myself--despite the fact that I rarely eat donuts (until the fall when cider donuts from upstate are available, of course)--eagerly awaiting the latest donut report like a hungry infant awaiting his first morning spoonful of Pablum. It's a daily dose of humor, New York style, and I am totally addicted.

So, in the spirit of donut consumption everywhere, I am posting a recipe I learned waaay back in sixth grade Home Economics class (Do they even teach Home Ec any more? Am I totally dating myself!?) for canned biscuit donuts. Believe it or not, these donuts taste amazingly good, and they're a snap to make as well. I like to think that if
international donut reporter, Duane Reade suddenly found him or herself transported Star Trek-style into my kitchen in the leafy suburbs of New York, that these donuts would get a big, enthusiastic thumbs up. And, if not, at least a really bad review that woud make me burst out in a fit of laughter over my morning iced coffee, and keep me coming back for more.


Biscuit Donuts (PRINT RECIPE CARD)
2 cans large buttermilk biscuits

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
Vegetable, canola or peanut oil

Mix together sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.

Remove biscuits from package, separate, and punch a hole in the center of each with your finger and form into a donut shape.

Heat 2 inches oil in a large pot to 350 degrees F. Carefully cook donuts in batches in the hot oil until golden, then flip with tongs to cook the other side. When done, drain donuts on paper towels and sprinkle with cinnamon + sugar mixture. Allow to cool before chowing down.

No comments: