Monday, September 15, 2008

Rest in Peace Henry


My good friend, Henry, passed away quietly yesterday, with my brave friend, Michele (and Cortez + Kelly, pictured above with Henry) by his side. It seems that Henry had a less than ideal start in life, but was later adopted by my dear friends Michele and Steve, and immediately forgot about his troubles and went about his days breathing in good, fresh, country air, chasing chipmunks, and doing his best to be well-behaved + not bite people who he didn't quite trust. I was fortunately one of the people this big lug trusted, and I loved spending time with him, watching him race out the back door in search of adventures. Even when he developed quite a large tumor on his back leg, it never held old Henry back, or stopped him from scaring squirrels and strangers; this was a dog that lived life with gusto and made the most of each second of it. I remember this past July 4th when I was staying over the house, and the fireworks were spooking the pups. Big, tough Henry seemed to be spooked the most, so much so, that he wrapped his entire body around my head as I slept--it was as if I was wearing a hat made out of Henry.

I will miss my dear friend, but I know he is in doggie heaven today, chasing squirrels (and finally catching them!) and biting whoever the heck he pleases without being scolded, wondering what he did wrong.

Rest in peace you big, old lug. I will miss your beautiful face, your wonderful spirit. I hope I can enjoy my life 1/10th as much as you enjoyed yours.

Suzanne




HOMEMADE DOG BISCUITS (from Crafty Suzanne 11.21.07)
I used whimsical hand-shaped cookie cutters instead of the classic bone shape, so your favorite mutt can finally—and without punishment—take a bite out of the hand that feeds him.

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup wheat germ
4 beef bouillon cubes, crushed
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1 egg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cut hot water

Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl, then add egg, oil and water. Mix with your hands to form a dough. On a floured surface, roll out the dough to approximately 1/2 inch thickness, then cut shapes out with a cookie cutter. Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in a 275 degree oven for about 2 hours (until dry and hard). Makes about 10-15 bones.

No comments: