Friday, December 19, 2008

Snow Day


The first big snowfall of the season is hammering the Northeast today, but I am happily tucked away inside my tiny red cabin in the woods, with a big pot of homemade turkey chili simmering on the stove, and my most comfortable flannels keeping me cozy. It's been yet another emotional roller coaster of a week (2009 has to be will be better), and so I am grateful that I can be home today, nurturing my soul with small, simple things like cooking, writing, wrapping gifts. Tonight I am going to settle in with one of my all-time favorite movies, The Bishop's Wife, (Cary Grant stars, which alone makes it worth watching in my book) and a good bottle of Cabernet, before climbing under a mountain of down and settling in for what I hope will be ten much-needed hours of sleep. In the meantime--from my kitchen window--I watch the snow pile up on the treehouse just outside.

Only six more months until summer. Fortunately, until it's warm again outside, I have my kitchen sink chili to keep me toasty inside.


Kitchen Sink Turkey Chili (PRINT RECIPE CARD)
There is no right or wrong way to make this chili--if you don't have some of the vegetables I've listed, don't panic. Simply use any other veggies you might have on hand such as chopped green beans, diced potatoes, turnips, butternut squash...whatever!

olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno (seeded and minced)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 - 2 1/4 lbs ground turkey
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (with jalapeno's, if you prefer)
2 - 15.5 oz can beans (any type: pinto, pink, black, kidney...)
1 carrot, diced
1 sweet potato, diced
handful+ frozen corn
handful+ frozen peas
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
salt + pepper (to taste)
sour cream (optional)

Pour a bit of olive oil to a large pot over medium-high heat, then add onion, peppers, garlic and turkey. Saute until turkey is cooked, then add tomatoes, beans, veggies and spices. Lower heat and cook chili for about 1 hour, or until carrots and potatoes are tender. Spoon into bowls and top with a spoonful of sour cream.

Makes about 6 servings.

No comments: