Sunday, January 11, 2009

Snow-B-Q


I barbecued last night in the middle of a classic northeast snowstorm, by the light of a small flashlight, wearing layers of Thinsulate and Gortex, and it was the happiest I've been in as long as I can remember.

I am in love.

I am in love with irreverance.
And, non-conformity.
I am in love with coloring outside the lines.
And not eating my vegetables.
I am in love with sleeping at odd hours, if I so please.
And, laughing too loud at a stupid joke that only I get.
I am in love with the fact that I am becoming the person I want to be, and that I have finally--at the cusp of 45--stopped making excuses, or concocting explanations for my idiocincracies.

I am what I am, and who I am. And that person chooses to grill Caribbean pork tenderloin on a full-moon night, in the middle of a January snowstorm, while drinking summerhouse margarita's, and laughing out loud at the lunacy of it all.


Grilled Island Pork Tenderloin (PRINT RECIPE CARD)

I first discoverd this recipe for Island Pork Tenderloin Salad in Gourmet magazine back in 2003, and instantly fell in love with it. But being a Summerologist and all, I wanted to be able to cook it outside on the grill, so I got rid of the salad part and simply marinated the pork in a Ziploc bag for several hours, then threw it on the grill until the internal temperature reached 140°F. The result is a delicious BBQ-ed pork that pairs perfectly with mashed sweet potatoes, fried plantains, a spicy slaw, or rice and beans (or, go crazy, invite some friends over, and make all of those). And, just because it's winter, doesn't mean you can't head outside and enjoy a taste of summer tonight; summer--as I've said before--is not only a season, but a state of mind.

I'm living proof of that.


2 pork tenderloins (2 1/4 to 2 1/2 pounds total)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce

Place all ingredients in a large Ziploc bag, combine well, then refrigerate for several hours. Preheat grill for ten minutes on high heat, then place tenderloins on grill, and sear meat on all sides until brown. Lower heat, close grill top, and cook for approximately 5-8 minutes on both sides. Tenderloins are ready when a thermometer inserted diagonally in the center of each registers 140°F. Remove tenderloins from the grill, and let stand on a cutting board for 10 minutes (temperature will rise to about 155°F while standing) before cutting into thick (1 - 1/1/2") slices.

Serves 6-8

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog, you are so cool!