Thursday, April 16, 2009

Birthdays, Bikini's + (empty) Bank Accounts


Today it is a glorious 72 degrees here in New York, and all I can say is, it's about freaking time. Winter has long overstayed it's welcome here in the Northeast (it was flurrying!!! last week) so this little spike in the mercury is a welcome change. Alas, it won't last very long--Sunday's forecast is for more gloomy weather and another dip back down into the 40s. On top of the indignity of having to continue to wear wool/remain pale and pasty, this tax year was an especially bad one for me. Wait, I take that back--did I say bad? Sorry, I meant, catastrophic; I owe Uncle Sam in taxes what many Americans earn per year. When my accountant asked me if I had any questions for him, I replied by asking him if he had anything that got rid of nausea.

Oh, and I turn forty-five on Monday.

But, true to my nature, I am rolling with all of this. I don't believe I have cancer, and I am typing this entry with two working hands, and am about to make my way over to the fridge for a beverage on my two, very sturdy, working legs. I currently have a roof over my head that doesn't leak when it rains, and a car that gets me from Point A to Point B in both a fun and reliable manner. My belly is not grumbling, and there are no holes in my clothes (well, except in the knees of a few pairs of jeans, but I like them that way). I have family + friends who I can rely on for both love and laughter, and when I wake up in the morning, I rise not with a sense of dread, but with a sense of peace. The glass--for now, at least--remains half full.

And, despite the fact that I am about to empty my bank account and hand a big burlap sack of money over to our spendthrift government, it's not stopping me from hitting the road for a little birthday adventure next week. I've not been on a vacation in a really, really long time, and I've decided that now is as good a time as any to go someplace warm, and tropical, and delicious. A place where I can live in a bikini and flip flops, and spend most of my day sipping rum-based drinks, while listening to Bob Marley. At least that's my grand plan at 5:39 on this Friday afternoon. If I veer off course, and happen to find myself on some other wacky adventure along the way, I promise that you'll be the first to know.

Until then, have a wonderful week.

Love,
Suzanne

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

happy 4/20 suzanne and....happy b-day