Monday, March 8, 2010

The Housewarming Weekend.

My brother and niece moved to a wonderful new home last month, so to celebrate, our family came together for a big housewarming party this past weekend. On Friday I spent the day preparing traditional Polish food with my niece, and then on Saturday evening the entire family joined us for the celebratory feast of pierogi, kielbasa (with plenty of hot horseradish), stuffed cabbage, kapusta, latkes with sour cream and apple sauce, and delicious homemade paska.

Since I've been busy with work and writing these days, I thought I'd share some of my photos so you know I am still alive and well. Oh, and since I'm in a good mood.....a recipe, too!

Nostrovia!

Maureen's seedlings!


The potato pancakes before.....and after (we made 100!) Recipe


My niece is the baker in the family. Her paska...


The "outdoor fridge" and pierogi's browning....


Hot stuff!


Real men chop garlic....


The host and the hostess (my brother and my niece)


Maryclare and kielbasa!


More pierogi (144 to be exact)


The host....Leah and my Aunt MaryAnn (Hi Aunt MA!)


Hugs everywhere! Mati + Mark......My mom and my brother, Michael


Sweet Logan!!!!!...Me and my lovely niece, Claire.


The women in the kitchen



PASKA (traditional Ukranian Easter Bread)
Makes 3 loaves

(PRINT RECIPE CARD)

1 tsp sugar
1 cup lukewarm water
1 package of yeast
3 cups of whole milk
5 cups+ bread flour

+

6 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
½ cup butter, melted
1 TBSP salt

+

3 cups golden raisins, optional (soaked in warm water to soften)


Scald the milk, then allow to cool till very warm. Combine milk, yeast and sugar in a large mixing bowl.

Add flour, one cup at a time -- either mixing it with the bread attachment of a Kitchenaid, or kneading it with your hands -- until the dough is smooth. The dough will be a bit sticky.

Cover dough with a dish cloth, set in a warm place, and let rise for about 1 hour.

Beat together
6 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
½ cup melted butter
1 TBSP salt

Add the mixture to the dough and knead until it becomes smooth, adding more flour as needed. If you are adding raisins, drain them and mix them into the dough.

Cover dough with a dish cloth, set in a warm place, and let rise for approximately 3-4 hours, or until it doubles in size.

After it doubles, punch dough down in the middle, cover and let rise again for another hour.

Divide dough into 3 parts. Place loaves into greased round pans, brush each with an egg wash, cover and set them a warm place for approximately 1-2 hours, or until they double in size.

Preheat oven to 400F

Bake loaves at 400F for 15 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 350F and bake for an additional 30-40 minutes.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

:) :) :)
Let's do that again! lol